[linux-dvb] AW: Why compress a VDR movie again ?

Hi Axel!

Yes, you are right with your assumption of about 2GB for a movie in VCD
or SVCD style. But I would not like to buy any kind of properitary stuff
like Sonys Double Density-CD or so. I hope DVD-RW will be in an
acceptable price range soon. Hopefully within the next 12 month.
In the meantime you have some other choices. Think about a tape-drive,
that is used for video playback already several years ago (with a
software called Direct Tape Access, as far as I remember). Also you can
get a DVD-RAM drive with 2.6 or 4.7 GB per side. Typically you have
5.2GB with Generation I, or 9.2 GB with Generation 2 Drives, enough for
several movies or sequels. Also it would be quite easy to move your
movies to DVD-R(W) as soon as the medium and the recorder are
affordable.

I don't like the idea to have a movie scattered around on several CDs,
as I will lose some of them by after time (think about it, Murphy :)
This allready happens to my MPEG4-Collection (children love to play with
this shiny things; scratches included).

Right now I'v got a 60GB HDD in my server for video stuff and a 40GB
drive in my VDR. Because of only about 25 hours available on my VDR
(40GB divided by 1.6GB assumed amount of data per hour), I need some
reduction and also a solution to save some movies.
My idea is to transcode a special type of movies (my wifes StarTrek
episodes for example, or recordings that are going to be deleted soon)
at off-times to save some diskspace.

For another task, bitrate reduction is also neccessary. I just started
with my wireless network connection between my VDR, my server machine
and my notebook, but I would like to copy files for archiving to my
server and or to my notebook to watch them. There is no way to connect
the VDR with wires right now. So medium conservation and therefore
bitrate reduction is a neccessary task. Also a 11Mbps wireless link is
not very fast (about 650 kB/s), it is a good idea to convert the movie
to it's target format, I choose OpenDivX, before the transfer. Precise
cutting of cutting of the final movie is also better done on the
workstation than with VDR.

Just my idea, what is possible with such a digital video solution.
Hopefully my solutions are also usefull for others and I can contribute
my hacked code to the VDR project.

So long,
J.-O. Todamm

---