[linux-dvb] Re: AW: Why compress a VDR movie again ?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:58:52 +0200, Jörg-Oliver Todamm
<jtodamm@itc-consult.de> wrote:

> Right now I'v got a 60GB HDD in my server for video stuff and a 40GB
> drive in my VDR. Because of only about 25 hours available on my VDR
> (40GB divided by 1.6GB assumed amount of data per hour), I need some
> reduction and also a solution to save some movies.
> My idea is to transcode a special type of movies (my wifes StarTrek
> episodes for example, or recordings that are going to be deleted soon)
> at off-times to save some diskspace.

Why aren't you adding further 80 MB Maxtor disks?
This is not more expensive than most conventional backup media (when
cost of drive is included) except for CDs. It has the additional
advantage of having everything on-line.
If you you are short on IDE-channels you can add further drives with
firewire or on a second computer with 100 MBit network.

> For another task, bitrate reduction is also neccessary. I just started
> with my wireless network connection between my VDR, my server machine
> and my notebook, but I would like to copy files for archiving to my
> server and or to my notebook to watch them. There is no way to connect
> the VDR with wires right now. So medium conservation and therefore
> bitrate reduction is a neccessary task. Also a 11Mbps wireless link is
> not very fast (about 650 kB/s), it is a good idea to convert the movie
> to it's target format, I choose OpenDivX, before the transfer. Precise
> cutting of cutting of the final movie is also better done on the
> workstation than with VDR.

If you already convert the movies to OpenDivX why aren't you burning
this format on CD? 2 CDs for a normal movie should be ok.

Emil

---