[linux-dvb] Re: Why compress a VDR movie again ?

Hi,

i'm new on this list - i got my tv server this weekend working...

by the way: nice job ;-)

> For me there are some points that I want to cover:
> - instant access to my video library, just as I have now to my music. I
> don't bother to wait some time until a MPEG4 is recompressed for
> viewing.
> - I don't want to lose parts of this library due to a harddrive crash
> (Raid 5 is not an option due to the next reason)
> - a small and quiet box placed in my living room next to my TV and the
> HIFI components (harddiscs need some cooling and are loud)
> - connectivity has to be wireless (I use 11 Mbps WLAN, no wire could be
> placed in this room)

I think, i have an not much expensive solution for this problem:
don't use WLAN, make it simpler by using an wireless audio/video
transmitter.
I got this at Conrad Electronic for only 250,- DM, incl. I/R
Transmitter/Receiver.
It works great for me over 20m.
I used it before my DVB adventure for my DivX/DVD Player (PC :-).

HTH Mario

---