[linux-dvb] Re: ac3

Hi all,

>Am Tue, 27 Mar 2001 schrieben Sie:
>> prakash writes:
>>  > Hello all,
>>  > I would like to know the channels on astra which broadcast ac3
streams.
>>  > The idea is to extract the ac3 streams and pipe it to the hardware
>>  > decoder? Is it possible to do it?
>>
>> Yes, if you have an AC3 hardware decoder.
>> I think the new soundcard drivers for some Creative cards also support
>> AC3 over SPDIF now.
>>
>> Ralph
>>

>> ---
>> Info:
linux-dvb" as subject.

>Hello all,
>
>i think the new Soundblaster live 5.1 Platinum includes a 5.1 Decoder but
the
>card is not so cheap ( nearly 500 German Marks).
>
>look at http://www.soundblaster.com
>
>Jens

AC3 ... the dream :-)

There is another very cheap Card for People like me which allready got a
AC3 capable Receiver. The Leadtek Winfast which I use in my Box. The actual
Price is 65 DM and it features a chinch and optical SPDIF in and out. It
can be get from http://www.atelco.de . The Card is based on the C-Media
8738 Chip and the current ALSA Drivers support SPDIF through as well as
SPDIF Monitor mode. The Author of the driver (Takasi Iwai) is currently
working on implementing the raw-data mode for parsing AC3 Date direct to
SPDIF out.

The big Question is still how can the AC3 feature be included in VDR ???
There are 3 possible modes for AC3 playback: live watching, record and
playback.

For watching it could be done by defining a second APID in the channel
config and include an option in VDR to pipe this data to an external
Programm (like allready done by Matjaz in his great DVDPlayer)

For record the easiest way (imho) would be include the second audio stream
in the PS (or have it to be a TS to include more than one audio stream)

For replaying a Stream it could work exactly like watching. In VDR is a
external Programm defined which is used to receive the AC3 Data and it
should be possible to choose the audiostream if more than one is available.

Greetings
Stefan Hagendorn

---