[linux-dvb] Re: Latest CVS driver and CA recordings

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Ralph Metzler wrote:
> >
> > Well, a ksymoops dump would tell me a lot more than "it segfaults".
> > Which ioctl() calls cause the segfault?
>
> A backtrace in 'gdb' (applied to the resulting core dump after such a crash)
> shows:
>
> #0  0x401cd234 in __ioctl () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x4 in ?? ()
> #2  0x804abf3 in Switch__8cChannelP7cDvbApib (this=0x808ea88, DvbApi=0x0, Log=true) at config.c:278
> #3  0x8068fc3 in main (argc=3, argv=0xbffff8ec) at vdr.c:368
> #4  0x40124baf in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6

That stacktrace is useless. The interesting thing are the parameters
to the ioctl.

> If you could tell me how to do a 'ksymoops dump' I'd be glad to do so.

Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt.
Get ksymoops from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/ksymoops/ ,
then man ksymoops.

You feed it the output from the kernel log, depending on your syslog.conf
either from /var/log/messages or from dmesg directly.
(A kernel Oops is a segfault in kernel mode; the kernel then prints
a stack trace and register dump.)

HTH,
johannes