[linux-dvb] Re: VDR suggestion - record to TS?

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg-Oliver_Todamm?= writes:
>  > There are some very simple and cheap soundcards available that (seem to)
>  > simply pass the bitstream to the connector. Is there anything that has
>  > to be processed to get a "raw output"? Maybe the current firmware grabs
>  > the bits from the hardware decoding and pushes it to the SPDIF. If it is
>  > only possible for the ARM to pull and push the data from there, this
>  > would be a limitation. But isn't it possible to communicate with the ARM
>  > direct (via a new device /dev/dvbac3) and it pushes the bitstream to the
>  > output?
>
> No, as I have explained several times before, the hardware (AV7110)
> only accepts PCM data and adds the SPDIF headers by itself.
> Since we had the same kind of questions you have we asked TI and
> they confirmed to us that AC3 output is not possible unless you
> add hardware which changes the headers.

I understand that this thread is about using the DVB hardware to *output*
the AC3 signal in a form useful for, e.g., an AC3 decoder.

What would interest me is: how can we get the AC3 data stream in the
new API? I would like to record that data together with the video and
"normal" audio data in VDR, and filter it out later when replaying
(to pipe it into some program that can decode and replay the AC3 soundtrack).

My idea would be to have a TS that contains the packets from the video, audio
and AC3 PIDs and store these in a multiplexed PES file. That file would
then contain 0xE0 (video), 0xC0 (audio) and 0xC1 (AC3) sections. When
replaying, VDR could send the 0xE0 and 0xC0 sections to the DVB hardware,
while sending the 0xC1 sections to whatever program is necessary to
replay AC3.

Is this something that would make sense? Is it at all possible?

Klaus