[linux-dvb] Re: Audio loss with latest CVS driver

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > Ralph Metzler wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > >  > If I do the following ioctl() calls while replaying a "multiplexed PES"
>  > >  > recording (done with VDR 0.80pre5) through the /dev/ost/video device
>  > >  > the audio gets mute:
>  > >  >
>  > >  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_FREEZE);
>  > >  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_SLOWMOTION, 2);
>  > >  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_PLAY);
>  > >  >
>  > >  > and not even a subsequent
>  > >  >
>  > >  >   ioctl(audioDev, AUDIO_SET_MUTE, false);
>  > >  >
>  > >  > can change that. In the typical VDR application these ioctl() calls don't
>  > >  > occur immediately after each other. This is just the smallest example that
>  > >  > demonstrates this behaviour.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Could this be a driver problem, or am I doing something wrong here?
>  > >
>  > > As explained in the API docs a VIDEO_CONTINUE is used after a
>  > > VIDEO_FREEZE to continue playback.
>  > > If you do this everything works fine but I'll see what I have to
>  > > change to make the sequence you describe work.
>  >
>  > I have changed the VIDEO_PLAY to VIDEO_CONTINUE and tried this again with the
>  > latest CVS driver version (2001-05-25), but this sequence still doesn't work:
>  >
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_FREEZE);
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_SLOWMOTION, 2);
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_CONTINUE);
>  >
>  > Note that
>  >
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_FREEZE);
>  >   ioctl(videoDev, VIDEO_CONTINUE);
>  >
>  > works as expected, but with an intermediate VIDEO_SLOWMOTION the audio is
>  > lost and doesn't come back.
>
> You are still not terminating the VIDEO_FREEZE with a VIDEO_CONTINUE
> or a VIDEO_PLAY but put the VIDEO_SLOWMOTION in between.

Oh, sorry. When you said I should use VIDEO_FREEZE/VIDEO_CONTINUE instead
of VIDEO_FREEZE/VIDEO_PLAY I wasn't aware that the intermediate VIDEO_SLOWMOTION
would disturb this.

I'll try to modify this tonight and let you know if it works.

> I'll have to make some changes in the firmware to make it work as you
> want, but instead of just fixing this one case I want to move
> all the trickmode commands into the firmware at once to have better
> control. It's next on my list.

That, of course, would be the best solution :-)

Klaus