[linux-dvb] AW: Re: AW: again: IS simultaneous recording of Video + AC3 "nearly" dropoutfree possible ?

> Nils Heidorn wrote:
> >
> > Hi again :-)

> recording of
> > > to trash the
> > > AC3 via SCSI
> > >
> > > it is possible with the current driver's ost api. just tell your
> > > favourite
> > > recording tool to record also (or only) the ac3 audio PES.
> > >
> > > andreas.
> >
> > Woops, did i miss something:
> > How would i tell VDR to do so ??
>
> Just set the AC3 PID instead of the "normal" audio PID.
> I haven't tried this yet, but I would guess that this should record the
> AC3 data. I am planning to implement multiple audio PID support, once
> VDR 0.80 runs stable with the new driver. However, I don't yet know
> how to output the AC3 stream. Maybe I'll just assume that there will
> be a program into which VDR can "pipe" the AC3 data while replaying,
> and that program will have to do whatever is necessary to replay the
> digital sound.
>
> Klaus

Well that's no biggie in my opinion, i would do playback with the HW+ Card
or burn it to DVD and let my Yamakawa do the playback :-)
But of course it would be nice to have AC-3 playback in VDR too.
When reading the opeinion that the DVB Cards are not able to playback AC3,
then i sometimes ask myself if this is true, did you follow the *same*
discussion about the D-Box 1 ???
Now due to a New Firmware ( Dr. Overflow alias Uli ) it CAN passthrough raw
SP-Dif, so it WORKS ...
I wonder if the firmware guys could teach this to the DSP (?!?) in the DVB
Card too ...

The other possibilities for you would be to playback AC3 via Soundcard with
SP-DIF ( Like SBLive or Terratec 512i ) or via Hollywood+ MPEG2 Decoder Card
SP-DIF ...

Thank you for those news, i hope you get VDR stable with the new API so we
can see all your NEW ideas becaome real :-)

Nils