[linux-dvb] Re: VDR suggestion - record to TS?

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 01:36:06PM +0200, Emil Naepflein wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2001 12:52:32 +0200, Jörg-Oliver Todamm
> <jtodamm@itc-consult.de> wrote:
>
> > Channel-status information
> > contains one bit (but 1) which tells if the data in S/PDIF frame is
> > digital audio or some other data (DTS, AC3, MPEG audio etc.). This bit
> > will tell normal digital audio equipments that they don't try to play
> > back this data as they were audio samples. (would sound really horrible
> > if this happens for some reason).
>
> You may be able to send out AC3 data as PCM, but you are probably not
> able to set the bit in the Channel-status information. The only way to
> set this may be small external hardware just like the copy-protection
> bit strippers I have seen some time ago. This hardware has to be
> controlled dynamically to still allow PCM streams.

... and it seems that newer boards do not have a J2 and J8 jumpers anymore 8(=
Maybe the vendors do not want to get competitors by their own DVB cards
-> http://www.fujitsu-siemens.de/activy/pdf/Datenblatt_ACTIVY300_08.pdf
... this PC based SetTop box has an S/PDIF with AC3 and MPEG2 audio
out ;>]

        Werner