[linux-dvb] Re: Latest CVS driver results with VDR... was: DVB-S in the US.

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Chris Worley writes:
>  > I figured the flicker must be caused by some ioctl that VDR's
>  > constantly hitting: it's not.
>  >
>  > In stracing VDR, cDisplayChannel::ProcessKey is getting called about
>  > 40 times/sec, causing a lot of system "time" calls, but that was about
>  > it.  No ioctls to the DVB driver while the video is flickering.
>  >
>  > Also, the flickering isn't consistent.  When it's consistent, it seems
>  > to always occur exclusively for certain channels, but never happens
>  > with other channels.  Killing VDR stops the flickering (leaving the
>  > channel displaying).
>
> Did you set any Teletext PIDs for those channels?
> Teletext insertion does not work with NTSC and will cause the
> flickering even if no teletext data is actually present.
> There was a bug in the driver last week which could cause
> teletext filters remain active when changing to a channel without
> teletext but I already checked in the fix last weekend.
> Maybe VDR keeps a teletext filter active when it shouldn't?

Yes, indeed.  In VDR speak, I was setting the "Channel->tpid" rather
than the "Channel->pnr" for teletext in the channels.conf file.  The
"tpid" set to what the PNR should have been, caused the flickering.
There was a case where I could no longer repeat the problem without
rebooting first; i.e I couldn't get to flicker no matter what the tpid
was set to (until I shut the machine off, and rebooted -- then, I
could modify the tpid value and control the flickering).

Thanks!