[linux-dvb] Re: WinTV Nova - and now ?!

> Stefan Schluenss schrieb:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > i bought a Hauppage WinTv Nova (SecondHand) to experiment with the DVB
> stuff under Linux.
> > I have the dream to get this card running as the primary card and a
> MPEG2-decoder (DXR3)
> > card as output device - wouldn't it be nice to have such a low cost
> solution with timeshift capability?!
> >
> Hi,
>
> I am not willing to destroy your illusions, but anyway I don't see the
> benefit
> in terms of cost, if you compare a single board solution (DVB-S, for about
> 400.-
> DM) with a dual board one, which cost IMO about 500.- DM alltogether.
> Additionally you stress your PCI bus with a lot of data flowing from one
> board
> to the other. I see the advantage of being able to perform time shifted
> recodings/playbacks, but do you really need this ???
>
> Just a remark, not meant to be taken very serious...
>
> Rolf

Hi Rolf,

do you have kids ? I have, and their bedtime starts often to the best tv
time. So, i guess it would be better to spent the time to bring them into the
bed (without watching steadily to the clock ) and start the tv evening just
later.
And the cost reduction is about 300,-DM !(400,-DM fully DVBs card + 200,-DM
low budget card - both second hand against 200,-DM low buget + 100,-DM MPEG2
card). The PCI bus will be stressed for both solutions.

But if me dream never comes true, i can switch to the highend solution by
just buying the DVBs card, that's the reason why i bought the Nova first.

My real question was about getting only the Nova running (recording only,
because of missing MPEG2 decoder hardware). Do you have any hints about that.

Thanks,

Stefan.

http://www.gmx.net

GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a