[linux-dvb] Re: Archiving VDR recording on CD

Hi,

On Jul 20,  1:14, Lars Bensmann wrote:
> Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: Archiving VDR recording on CD
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:45:25PM +0000, Peter Hofmann wrote:
> >
> > did you check out my site
> >
> > http://www.pxh.de/fs/svcd/
>
> Actually I tried it out and the results were, well, miserable :-)
>
> The interesting part is, it seemed to work fine. The software-players I
> tried all worked pretty well.
> Then I actually burned it on CD and the playback on my DVD-Player was
> strange. It seemed some frames were displayed in the wrong order. Very
> strange. At first, I thought it was my DVD-Player or I did something
> wrong. I tried several options for the decoding process, so I don't think,
> I did something wrong. And then I tried replaying it through the

I just tested the results with two different DVD players where it worked fine
without the problems that you describe. But then the generated SVCDs are
probably still non-compliant in some respect, and some players are more
forgiving than others.

> Has anyone successfully transcoded DVB-recorded material to MPEG-2 and
> could replay it through the DVB-hardware? I think this is really strange as
> software players worked fine.

Software players are more resilient because they have more resources on a
modern PC than is available in the more limited environment of a DVD player.

> On a sidenote I was not really satisfied with the audio sync. It drifted
> apart and it was strange watching people talk and then actually hearing
> them. As I understand it there is no currently available Linux software
> that can remux MPEG streams without losing a/v sync and so I stopped
> trying.
>-- End of excerpt from Lars Bensmann

This only seems to happen with DVB-S recordings, I never had this with
recordings from my DVB-C card. My theory is that satellite broadcasts are more
likely to have dropped frames so that audio and video get slowly out of sync.
You are right that there is currently no Linux muxing software that can handle
this issue. The only software that explicitly addresses this is the
Windows-based PVAinstrumento software. I think that this is really the most
pressing issue for successfull Linux transcoding.

Peter

--
Peter Hofmann                  e-mail: junk@pxh.de