[linux-dvb] Re: playdvd 0.5.1 / vdr0.85 dvd patch

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Schreiber wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I have a problem with your DVD tools.
> Both playdvd and vdr0.85 sometimes crash my system to the point where I
> have to push Reset.
> Tried it with "007 - the world is not enough", RC1 and several other
> DVD's today.
> Everything works very well (including AC3) for several minutes, then the
> picture and the mouse pointer freeze totally.

Thanks goodness, it's not only me. I have noticed this behaivior here
too, but i don't have a monitor attached to my system. What apparently
happens it that the kernel crashes. There are three possibilities, 1st
it's the 2.4.5ac-something, since thats almost the same kernel i'm using
at the moment, or 2nd the DVD stuff somehow triggers a BUG in the DVB
driver, or 3rd the K6-III CPU, i have one too.

I have retrofited a 2.4.4 kernel with LKCD, but since then my system is
stable. So, my best bet is that indeed the -acXX kernel is the problem.

 From your description it would seem that you are running X?
Before starting DVD playback, could you switch to the first text
console, so you can see a possible kernel messages?

> System is Linux 2.4.5ac16, Debian Potato, DVB Driver 22/07/01 running on
> Siemens DVB-c, K6-III/500 CPU, Asus P5A.
> I am using AC3DEC with rather new ALSA CVS drivers for the SB Live 1024.
> The DVD Drive is an older Aopen, RPC1, EIDE.
> With dvdplayer 0.5 this problem does not occur.
>
> Another thing I discovered is that neither dvdplayer 0.5 nor playdvd
> 0.5.1 are able to display an OSD Menu.
> The commands are being understood, but no OSD appears.
> It worked until I switched to the patched CVS driver Klaus put on his
> ftp a week ago.

mhh, not sure about this one, but i think i have seen the same problem
with newer DVB drivers and dvdplayer. I'm not going to do any further
work with dvdplayer or dvdplay. This was just an experiment to
understand things well enough to start VDR integration. Any further
development of the DVD stuff will concentrate on VDR!

Have fun

      Andreas