[linux-dvb] Re: Small bugs in Video Disk Recorder version 0.90

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 09:06:01AM +0200, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> Matthias Weingart wrote:
> > Found some small bugs in vdr 0.9:

> > - audio is a little bit too early (I estimate 300ms), unencrypted CD "Chaplin"
>
> AC3 or LPCM audio tracks? (run ifo_dump an lock for "audio")

This are the 2 DVD's I have, but I should clarify the "Chaplin" does not
have the audio drop outs (or only very seldom), today.

DVD "Chaplin" not encrypted
Video attributes of VTS_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 4:3 U0 720x576 video
VTS Number of Audio attributes: 2
        stream 0 status: ac3 de drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 1 status: ac3 de drc 48kHz 2Ch Not specified 0 0

DVD "Gone in 60 s" css-dvd
Video attributes of VTS_VOBS: mpeg2 pal 16:9 only letterboxed U0 720x576 video
VTS Number of Audio attributes: 8
        stream 0 status: ac3 en drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 1 status: ac3 de drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 2 status: ac3 en drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 3 status: ac3 en drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 4 status: ac3 en drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 5 status: ac3 en drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 6 status: ac3 en drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0
        stream 7 status: ac3 en drc 48kHz 6Ch Not specified 0 0

> > - As already reported here; sometimes the sound is disturbed (very short drop
> >   outs) especially in scenes with much movements.
>
> in DVD playback oder with VDR recordings? What are specs for your
> system? AC3 decoding takes some processing power, from other reports i
> got, my estimate is that you need at least a PII oder a AMD K6-300.

VDR recordings play fine. The problem is with DVD playback. My spec: AMD800,
no AC3 (just the simple stereo from the card); the old DVB-s; Pioneer DVD
drive. For the encrypted DVD "60 s": It is a scratching noise. (kratzend,
sehr kurze Ausfaelle, klingt so wie viel Staub auf einer Schallplatte). It
occurs e.g. at the start of the movie, in scenes with much movement, at the
end (besonders die Musik im Abspann ist kaum zu verstehen). "top" system
load <10%. I am sure the DVD is ok.
 Another issue: The sound is very silent (dumpf) on start, only after
FastForward it sound better,
 And Last but not least: pressing pause and play it sounds horrible
(only high freq. peaks) on both DVD's.

        Matthias