[linux-dvb] Re: Bad news :-(

Hi,

Daniel Unruh wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Marcus Daniel wrote:
>

>>I think it is really bad that Dolby wants licence fees from everybody that
>>wants to decode AC3, but isn't reverse engeneering allowed in Europe?
>>

> This has nothing to do with reverse engineering - it is all about software
> patents, which are not yet allowed in Europe.
> The European Commission recently put in hand a study on the impact of
> software patents. This study clearly shows that only an "economic
> minority" (about 91% of all persons/entities questioned) opposes the
> patentability of software.
>
> We can expect software to be patentable in Europe soon (maybe 2003 or
> 2004).

Also have a look at the recent KIllustrator thing. What came out there,
is that basicly you can do *almost* anything with patented, copyrighted
and trademarkded stuff in Germany as long as it is for your own personal
use and/or you are a hobbyist and are not making money with it.

Everything dramaticly changes, as soon are getting money for it (this
might as well include fee for duplicating/producing
theCD/Floppy/whatever media).

Note: I'm not a laywer, so take the above not to seriously.

Have fun

    Andreas