[linux-dvb] Re: Bad news :-(

Hi,

Quoting Marcus Daniel (danielm@uni-muenster.de):

> I think it is really bad that Dolby wants licence fees from everybody that
> wants to decode AC3, but isn't reverse engeneering allowed in Europe?

The AC3 standard is downloadable freely (http://www.dolby.com). It is not a
matter of reverse eneneering :-(. In case of an implementation you have to
buy a license and you have to pay unit based royalties.

> I mean isn't this similar to the whole decss fiasco?

Somehow...

> VideoLAN from France seems to include decss code without any legal problems
> and since Alsa is developed mostly in Europe, thier ac3dec could continiue
> developement without a problem?

Without legal problems = nobody took actions against VideoLAN.

> ( I don't work with AC3 (yet) and didn't look where the developer lives, but
> even if that person lives in the US, maybe somebody in Europe could continue
> developement?)

> At least this way some of the damage might be controlled.

I don't think so. Dolby's headquaters is in the UK.

Nevertheless, law of contract and licence right seems to function somehow
world-wide and not only in the USA. Unfortunately.

Bye... SP.
--
Szymon Polom                      | GPG Key-ID 1024D/E6EA36F2
convergence integrated media GmbH | http://www.convergence.de