[linux-dvb] AW: AW: Re: recording of PAL signals

Hello Carsten,

sorry, but although the Philips SAA7113 is an encoder, it is not a
MPEG2-encoder as needed for DVB-similar recordings. This chipset has been
around ever since I got my ASUS3400TNT/TV and simply encodes analogue
TV-input to digital monitor-output. It is not able to compress the video
signal. To compress the recorded signal you would have to use a software
codec (MJPEG, HuffYUV,...) in the capture program. Or encode it later on
with a software MPEG2-encoder (eg TMPEG) or hardware encoder-board. Then you
could "maybe" play it via a DVBs.

@Gerhard
For analogue recordings directly into MPEG2 the only solution I know is the
Hauppauge PVR. According to de.comp.tv+video with the latest drivers it
actually works.
For more knowledge about analogue recordings check http://www.dvdboard.de in
the video forums. They have been discussing this for about 2 years now.

best,
Andreas