[linux-dvb] Re: ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR (AGP)?

Louis Swart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am starting to setup a Video Disk Recorder for my home.
> My knowledge of Linux is limited.
> I intend to buy the "ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR (AGP)"
> card form my home VDR. It seems to be one of the best currently
> available.
>
> 1) Is the "ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR (AGP)" card a good choice?

Not for VDR.

> 2) Will it work with the VDR software?

No.

> 3) Any thing else I should know or consider?

Currently, the only card supported by the VDR project is the
family of Siemens DVB cards.
What VDR does, to record a TV broadcast is, take the bits as
they come from the sky and store them on disk. The MPEG-encoding
(compression) takes place at the broadcast side, not in your PC.
The family of Siemens DVB cards does not do MPEG compression nor
does VDR.

The "ATI All-In-Wonder" cards on the other hand, receive analog
signals (that were not compressed at the broadcast side) and do
the compression with a combination of ATI hardware and software
in your PC. VDR does not currently support this mechanism with
any card. If VDR should ever support this path, I would guess
that it would use an encooder card that is well-supported under
Linux. Maybe the KFIR card.

Check out
   http://linuxtv.org
   http://www.lindy.cc/dvb