[linux-dvb] Re: WinTV DVB-s help needed

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:48:44AM +0700, Guenter Bellach wrote:
> I recently purchased a Hauppauge WinTV DVB-s card for my computer wanting
> to watch Free-to-Air digital C-Band and Ku-Band satellite TV channels on my
> computer in Thailand. So far I have been able to acquire and decode only
> three transponders on two of the many satellites I have tried e.g.
> MMBN at SD. 26667. Freq. 4000 (4005) H on Palapa C2 at 113.0 deg. East
> Thai UBC at SD. 25776 on Thaicom 3 at 78.5 deg. East at
> Freq. 12438 H, and at Freq. 12479 H
> All the transponders I have tried, and there have to be close to a hundred
> on over ten satellites, are marked MPEG-2 on the Lyngemark satellite
> charts. On a very few, for example
> SD. 28125, Freq. 4000 H on Asiasat 2 at 100.5 deg. East (European Bouquet)
> I get a signal of up to 10 db strength, but never to the stage of signal
> decoding and acquisition of the program list and on most no signal at all.
> I am using a 2.4 m mesh dish, and have it carefully oriented. and the LNB
> placed for maximum signal. I get perfect reception on my analog receiver.
> Has anybody had similar problems? Is anybody out there in this hemisphere
> who is using this card on the C-band and is getting good results? If so,
> what transponders are you receiving on which satellites, and at where are
> you located?

I had a similar problem with a satellite near the horizon (15 degree above).
After turning the LNB by some degree we got Mpeg :-) With satellites at noon
position (in south dirction) the LNB must be perpendicular, but if you go to
east and west you have to turn it. Use the free Software from www.smw.se to
calculate the angel of the LNB (and other things)

        Matthias