[linux-dvb] Re: HDD-Limitations

I'm in the planning stages of putting together a Linux box to
use for VDR, amongst other things (database, web). Having
spent my previous life working with Sun/Solaris, I'm a bit
unfamiliar with PC hardware and components, and wondered if
anybody could give some advice on how powerful my hardware
needs to be? Advice on motherboard, do I need a 1GHz Athlon
or will a 700MHz Duron do, PC100 vs PC133, that sort of
thing. Is it better to get an AGP graphics card with MPEG2
decoder and TV out, to take some load off the PCI bus
when you're recording from several sources and watching
a previous recording?

Probably the answer is "get the fastest hardware you can
afford", but I would appreciate any insights you have to
share.

Regards,
Ingvar