[linux-dvb] Re: HDD-Limitations

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:42:19AM +0100, Ingvar Nedrebo wrote:
> needs to be? Advice on motherboard, do I need a 1GHz Athlon
> or will a 700MHz Duron do,

700 MHz Duron will do. CPU power is not the problem.

> PC100 vs PC133,

PC100 is sufficient, but I don't think it's worth buying anymore, as
PC133 is actually cheaper.

> that sort of
> thing. Is it better to get an AGP graphics card with MPEG2
> decoder and TV out, to take some load off the PCI bus
> when you're recording from several sources and watching
> a previous recording?

How many cards do you plan to install? I don't know about CPU usage in
this case, but I guess it is probably still no important factor. If you
want to watch the recordings an the TV without using a DVB card a MPEG
decoder card with TV out is probably the way to go, but I don't have
expercience with this. But the TV out of most graphic cards is not
supported under Linux. There are some exceptions. Maybe someone else can
comment on this.

> Probably the answer is "get the fastest hardware you can
> afford", but I would appreciate any insights you have to
> share.

Considering what kinds of machines are running VDR (I think I remember
someone with a Pentium 166?) I don't think you need so much horsepower.
Any PC with components you can still buy is probably more than you need.

cu,
Lars

--
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.