[linux-dvb] Re: Backannotating timers?

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> >
> > Just found VDR recording a completely wrong program...#5 instead of #1
> >
> > After a while i found that this is caused by the timer format:
> > The timer contains only the number in teh channel list :-(
> >
> > Meanwhile i had resorted the channel list...so 5 becomes
> > an other program.
> > The timers were not back annotated. (OK: how should it be done?)
>
> Yes, this is a problem unless you rearrange the channels.conf
> with VDR's OSD.
>
> Currently, VDR simply puts the line numer of the channels.conf
> file into the timer entry.
>
> I have discussed this problem a long time ago with Klaus.
> I believe the summary was, that it would be much smarter
> to use the PNR instead of the line number of the channels.conf
> file. However, back then, not every channels.conf entry had a
> PNR, so the solution got postponed and then forgotten.  :-)
>
> I believe it's still a good idea and maybe now is a good
> time to implement it.
>
> However, there are many good ideas and there is only one Klaus.
> Does anybody else volunteer to implement this (provided that
> everyone, especially Klaus, thinks it's still a good idea)?
>
> Carsten.

Frankly, I like it the way it is right now.

If you put all the information from the channel list into the timer,
then what if you modify a channel? Then again you would have to
transfer information from one place to another.

Information should be stored in as few places as possible (ideally
only in one single place), so I believe programming a timer with
a pointer (i.e. the channel number) to the channel is the right way
to go.

The channel and timer lists _are_ related, and VDR takes care of
any changes you make to them. If you make the changes outside VDR,
you'll have to manually make sure both lists are in sync again.

Klaus