[linux-dvb] VDR as OSD-Interface / Status-Monitor

Hi All,

you all might know the LCDproc-Project. (see
http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/index.php3). Im not directly using this
one but im using a nice piece of Software called cajun for playing mp3,
together with an 40x4-LCD (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cajun/ /
http://cajun.sourceforge.net/).

As i plan to upgrade the box to be able to play video using
VDR-recordings made from an dedicated video-server i still have the
problem to seamlessly integrade this mp3-stuff. shure, i could run the
current cajun-setup _and_ vdr, but....  why not using tv-screen as
interface instead of this (rather small) lcd-interface ?

But how to incorporate ?

My first idea was to look for a seperate-software allowing to output via
OSD. Just to have a kind of interface to osd to make outputs from e.g.
perl-scripts on it. (cajun has the ability to work with several lcd´s
HD-based, seetron-lcd´s, matrix-orbital, X-server etc... so, to have OSD
via DVB-S just another module) but - for this it had to have full access
to the OSD - and the ressources/possibilites of svdr are rather simple
for specific output.

so, like this LCDproc-Idea, i think there would be a smarter way: To
expand the possibilites of svdr and to let VDR make the output on OSD.

This would allow _all_ the things we ever expected from a STB: Alarm on
E-Mail, check of specific Parameters -> Inhouse-Temperature, etc and to
have the ability easily attaching external scripts like cajun for
example: This would allow to write the output on the OSD and thats it !

What should be done ?

For the Protocol: Maybe we could be similar to the lcdproc-protocol:
http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/netstuff.txt

Next would be to extend this protocol to be able to send ir-commands,
keystrokes etc to the client. And: tune to "something" to have a black
background :-)

As there is svdr.c a lot of stuff has already been done. Does anybody
has some experience how fast output on the OSD can be ?  (For countinous
write of counters etc...)

What is your opinion about this ?

best regards
C.Guenther