[linux-dvb] Re: VDR as OSD-Interface / Status-Monitor

Carsten Guenther <cguenther@guenthers.net> wrote:

> so, like this LCDproc-Idea, i think there would be a smarter way: To
> expand the possibilites of svdr and to let VDR make the output on OSD.
>
> This would allow _all_ the things we ever expected from a STB: Alarm on
> E-Mail, check of specific Parameters -> Inhouse-Temperature, etc and to
> have the ability easily attaching external scripts like cajun for
> example: This would allow to write the output on the OSD and thats it !
>
> What should be done ?
>
> For the Protocol: Maybe we could be similar to the lcdproc-protocol:
> http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/netstuff.txt
>
> Next would be to extend this protocol to be able to send ir-commands,
> keystrokes etc to the client. And: tune to "something" to have a black
> background :-)

The *really* smart way of doing this would be to write an X11-server
with output to the video device. Yes, to the video device, not just
the OSD. We already know of ways to display still images, so it should
be in principle doable.

Programs like VDR would be X11-clients. Imagine: VDR could run
full-screen or it could run in a sub-window, a second sub-window could
show some OSD-like info, another one could display your E-mail,
whatever...

--
  Manuel Panea                    Tel. +49 89 3299 1133
  Rechenzentrum Garching          Fax  +49 89 3299 1301