[linux-dvb] Re: VDR as OSD-Interface / Status-Monitor

Hi...

Quoting Manuel Panea-Doblado (mpd@rzg.mpg.de):

> Carsten Guenther <cguenther@guenthers.net> wrote:

> > so, like this LCDproc-Idea, i think there would be a smarter way: To
> > expand the possibilites of svdr and to let VDR make the output on OSD.
> >
> > This would allow _all_ the things we ever expected from a STB: Alarm on
> > E-Mail, check of specific Parameters -> Inhouse-Temperature, etc and to
> > have the ability easily attaching external scripts like cajun for
> > example: This would allow to write the output on the OSD and thats it !
> >
> > What should be done ?
> >
> > For the Protocol: Maybe we could be similar to the lcdproc-protocol:
> > http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/netstuff.txt
> >
> > Next would be to extend this protocol to be able to send ir-commands,
> > keystrokes etc to the client. And: tune to "something" to have a black
> > background :-)

> The *really* smart way of doing this would be to write an X11-server
> with output to the video device. Yes, to the video device, not just
> the OSD. We already know of ways to display still images, so it should
> be in principle doable.

Hmm... Sounds like a pretty ulgy hack to me. Using DirectFB would be
"*really* smart" :-).

> Programs like VDR would be X11-clients. Imagine: VDR could run
> full-screen or it could run in a sub-window, a second sub-window could
> show some OSD-like info, another one could display your E-mail,
> whatever...

... DirectFB without X bloat.

Bye... SP.
--
Szymon Polom                      | GPG Key-ID 1024D/E6EA36F2
convergence integrated media GmbH | http://www.convergence.de