[linux-dvb] Re: Backannotating timers?

Am 17.08.2001, schrieb Dave Chapman <dave@dchapman.com> ...

> > Like the line number of the channels.conf file, the PNR is just one
number.
> > Unlike the line number, the PNR uniquely identifies the channel.

> Sadly, the PNR isn't unique in general.  It is possibly true at 19E, but
not
> at other positions

And of course.. a PNR doesn't tell the user too much. Since the beginning
of TV-Sets and VCRs the channels are stored by numbers and people
normally memorize them very well. It's been since years now that "Das
Erste" is 1, ZDF is 2, ProSieben is 7 and so on. I don't like the idea to
look at a timers-list and having to guess what channel "12040" is.

> My suggestion for a solution would be to use the channel name as the
unique
> identifier.

> A compromise, would be to store the channel name with the timer
information.
> Whenever VDR starts, it could then cross-reference the channel names and
line
> numbers in the timers with the current channels.conf and make the
necessary
> corrections - or at least warn the user of the problem and delete the
> offending timers.

Well but then... channel names can change as well. For example "tm3" will
be (I'm not sure at the moment) "9 Live" in the near future. No matter
what you use... if you change things without the knowledge of VDR, there
will always be a way that you can break the references. IMHO this is a
waste of time.

Greetings,   Marcus