[linux-dvb] Re: embedded DVB box?!

(Frank Ta)  18.08.01 in linux-dvb@zocki.toppoint.de:

>> Now i would like to build a very small and compact VDR box that fits
>> on this flashcard so i only have to powerup my 40GB hdd if i record.

>Yes,that's what I want to do.Is it possible to use the HDD directly
>without fsck. What I means is that when the the OS is in flash card
>and the HDD is just for recording.When the power is off by
>accedent,and when the PC is booted up when the power is back again,how
>can I skip the fsck on HDD so that I can go on my recording asap.
>I think the VDR is also needed to be modified to support such
>exceptions.

You wish to have "Reiser-FS".

Reiser-FS is a "journaling FS" that is "robust" so the fschk
is done in a few seconds on the bigest Gigabyte disks:
Simple said: It just checks if the the journal entries are uptodate.

Little background info:
The general problem is, that the FS holds a lot of infos
in RAM. For example which sector are free or which are allocated-
If those infos are not written back to disk and belongs to
directoy infos, the complete disk contens may become useless
if the next time is written in the area. Reiser-FS garanties, that
at least the directory structure will always be intact.

It is absoletly NO good idea to disable fsck!

DOS had that once. You know the story!
Today MS has added a fsck to their "DOS with GUI" that
runs automatically, when the PC had crashed.