[linux-dvb] Re: Size Calculation for Cutting ?

Martin Hoffmann wrote:

> > > would it be possible to implement a size calculation for the cutted
> file, before the actual cut process is started ? So that one could decide
> where to cut ?
> > > This could be extremely usefule when cutting to CD sized chunks ...
> >
> > A simpler solution may be to set MAXVIDEOFILESIZE
> > at dvbapi line 66 to the size you need.
> > The ALL files created by VDR will be <= that size,
> > including the ones created by the cutter.
>
> Note really, because my problem is that i am recording series (e.g. Star
> Trek) and cutting them to fit on 1 CD. Sometimes i have to strip off the
> tail (?) (German Abspann und Vorspann)

That would be the "credits".

> and sometimes not. But i can only see
> this after cutting, I wanto to know it before cutting !!
>
> I thought that maybe the indexfiles point to the byte offset, so that a
> calculation according to the cut marks is possible ?

The index file does contain the byte offset of each frame, so basicly it should
be possible to calculate the total size (in bytes) of the edited version before
actually running the cutting operation. You'll need to be careful with segments
that start in one file and end in the next file, because the offsets always start
at zero with every new file.

Klaus