[linux-dvb] Re: popen for ac3 and thread (ringbuffer)problem

Stephan Schreiber wrote:

> Hi Klaus & Andreas,
>
> I can confirm it.
> While watching DVD's, I've become very careful when deciding whether I
> should dare to open the OSD menu.
> (For changing the language for example).
> When the driver and vdr are freshly loaded after a reboot, usually the
> first two times OSD works.
>
> Here's what happens then (ONLY when watching a DVD or other AC3 recording):
> Instead of showing the menu, the picture freezes.
> After I terminate vdr the driver runs into OUTCOMMAND ERROR and ARM RESET.
> Then it hangs to the point where I have to reboot (Make rmmod complains
> about busy modules).

I tried this several times now with two different DVDs (both with AC3 sound)
and was able to switch the OSD on and off until my thumb began to hurt ;-)

Since I don't have actual AC3 hardware I have started VDR with

  vdr -a'cat > filename'

to simulate VDR's Dolby Digital output. Maybe those of you who get these
hangups could try this, too: don't use the '-a...' option you usually use,
but use one similar to mine, thus leaving out the actual external AC3
processing. Do the hangups still happen then (with the original VDR version)?

Klaus