[linux-dvb] Re: popen for ac3 and thread (ringbuffer)problem

Hi Klaus,

I tried this several times now with two different DVDs (both with AC3 sound)
>and was able to switch the OSD on and off until my thumb began to hurt ;-)
>
>Since I don't have actual AC3 hardware I have started VDR with
>
>   vdr -a'cat > filename'
>
>to simulate VDR's Dolby Digital output. Maybe those of you who get these
>hangups could try this, too: don't use the '-a...' option you usually use,
>but use one similar to mine, thus leaving out the actual external AC3
>processing. Do the hangups still happen then (with the original VDR version)?

Unfortunately they do. I just tried it. It is not AC3DEC's fault.
Unpatched VDR 0.91, Patched (your version) Siemens Driver 20010803.
Siemens DVB-C, K6/III-500 CPU, Asus P5A Board, CI with IRDETO ALLCAM installed.
WinFast4x Soundcard (my el-crappo SB Live has expired).

It really is somehow related to the OSD. DVD Playback never crashes, ONLY
when I push the menu button with a not totally freshly loaded driver. It
works once or twice, then the whole thing freezes.
It never happens during fast forward/rewind or other commands where I'd
rather expect something fishy.

The interesting thing about all that is that a driver reload is not
possible after this kind of crash.
dvb_mon becomes a zombie and the driver won't rmmod.
I rarely experience any crashes otherwise (not even with excessive
zapping), but when I do, the driver will always reload without any problem.

I'll try the latest driver with vdr 0.92 ASAP, the error might as well be
gone already (?).....

Greetings
Stephan