[linux-dvb] some comments, questions and suggestions on VDR

Hi DVB-ML,

the first version of vdr I saw and which lighted some fire in me for
this concept was 0.04 - yeah, long ago...
Meanwhile, I finally built a VDR as standalone appliciance for my living
room. Does its job very good and the steps in development are great!

Well done to Klaus and the other developers (there are many) of VDR!

Okay, back to the subject...
some comments:
* still audio sync-problems 'bout half a second while pausing/playing
DVDs (newest DVB & VDR  0.92 version available at Klaus' Site)
* some encrypted DVDs 'hang' or produce some artificals on the TV

some questions:
* Is there a ToDo- or ToCome-List for VDR?
* Is there a FAQ?
  - If not, may I write some?
* What's the difference between a DVB-s Rev 2.1 which IR is now
implemented and a former model (Rev ??)
* How can I see which revision my DVB-s has?
(The infos/pics at Hauppauge are IMHO out-dated...)
* What features provide the undocumented Connectors like J2, J8 (IIRC
I'm at work now...)?
  - I have a picture of building a SCART-Adapter - is this possible?
* What about playing normal AudioCDs?

some questions aside to VDR:
* Is there a Linux tool like 'CD-Bremse' to spin down DVD-Drive speed?
* The Link to get raw2pcm is broken, where can I get raw2pcm.c?

some suggestions:
* Implementing playback of MP3-Files with a playlist like realized for
the recordings
  - I tested the patches but it won't work.
* As an AddOn of MP3 playing several 'Visualizer' for the TV (I like
these spiritual structures of some XMMS-Plugins)
* Building some kind of plugin-structure for i.e. playing DivX (any kind
of...) or MPEG-2 Videos (like SVCD) or XMMS-Plugins...
* If not yet implemented, playing of AudioCDs
* collecting some nice commands from commands.conf at a central site
  - has anyone a command for lm_sensors?
* etc... ;) (as soon as I know them)

Alrighty, that's it for some time...

At least some infos 'bout my system:
* Linux Kernel 2.4.3 (update to 2.4.9 at weekend)
  - rest is an upgraded SuSE 7.0 Pro
* ECS K7VA Socket7 Mainboard
  - no active USB & onboard Sound
* AMD Duron 700 @ FSB 100
* 256MB SD-RAM @ 2x128MB DIMMs
* Maxtor 60GB HDD with reiserfs
* Pioneer DVD 116S with FW 1.09 RC-1 patched ;)
* DVB-s Rev. ??
* Diamond V330 4MB PCI
* RTL-8029 NIC
* SB Live!
* IR-Transceiver will be build in at weekend (using onboard IR with
homebrewn Transceiver and lirc_serial (0.63 at ttyS1)

Virtually yours, JoKi
--
   MiDeK-Internet Publishing   |   Tel: 06361 21418
       Am Donnersberg 14       |   FAX: 06361 993681