[linux-dvb] Re: Suggested (minor) change for channels.conf

Dave Chapman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know that Klaus is rightly very resistent to changes to the channels.conf
> file, but here is a suggestion for a backwards-compatible extension
>
> The documentation for VDR ("FORMATS") states that the "conditional access"
> field contains "0" for FTA, "1" - can be decrypted by first card, "2" - can
> be decrypted by the second card etc.
>
> If I am understanding VDR correctly, this documentation could be changed to
> say:
>
> " "0" means the channel can be received on all installed cards, "1" means the
> channel can only be received on the first card, "2" means the channel can
> only be received on the second card etc "
>
> This seems a more logical explanation to me.
>
> My suggested change would then be to extend the conditional access field to
> contain a comma-separated list of DVB cards that that channel can be received
> from.  This wouldn't break any existing channels.conf, but would give more
> flexibity to users with multiple cards or LNBs (including mixtures of DVB-S,
> DVB-C and (hopefully) DVB-T).
>
> I am happy to write the appropriate patch for VDR if Klaus (and others) feel
> that this is a useful addtion to VDR.

Well, I'm thinking about something different: the Ca field should define what
conditional access mode this channel uses (e.g. "BetaCrypt", "Irdeto") and
the user's setup will define what card can provide what kind of decryption.
Of course the individual user could extend this to define modes like "MyMode"
and set up his cards #1 and #3 to provide this.

The advantage of this would be that a generic channels.conf would no longer
have a Ca of '3' for the PW channels, just because _I_ happen to have the CAM
in my third DVB card. There would then be a '1' (just because I will define
"BetaCrypt" as the first mode) as the Ca parameter of all PW channels, and my
individual setup will define that Ca-mode '1' is provided by card #3.

That's what I plan to implement this weekend.

Klaus