[linux-dvb] Re: video disk clean up

Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  24.08.01 22:42

Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...

>Rainer Zocholl wrote:
>>
>> Are there any tools to do "disk clean up"?
>>
>> means:
>> Deleting files after a while or extra when disc is full
>> depending on age and prio.
>>
>> I thought vdr doit but it don't
>>
>> Just claims "disk full" and stopps recording.
>>
>> What did i do wrong?
>>
>> (All records were 50.50 and the default hold time.)

>Were there any recordings older than 50 days?

No, but the disk is full! :-)

I assumed that, exept for "hold for ever", the files will be
deleted starting from the oldest in this "emergency state"
Especially when the videos were already viewed.

I assumed the 50.50 as a kind of "prio"

00: most important, do never touch
99: totally unimportant.

else 366 days must be possible or 3467 days, why not?

And the state: "Can't record" do only occur when the disk
is filled with prio "0" files.
Else we are back to tape-time :-(
Forgotten to rewind/insert the tape?
Your fault, i will not record the new, but you can see
the old records once again...

I think there are serval -right- ways to organize that
and not just one. (Tho i do have a problem to see the advantage of
a hold time of 53 Days. a Week, until the next part is to be recored
OK, a Month, a fourtnight, 3 week ok. But 86 days? What for?)

Why should i delete files just because they are 50 days old
if there is still enough space on the disk?

Why should i discard the command "Do record" only because
there are only old, viewed images on the disk?

Why should i not fill the entire disk? (The disk is
payed fully, why not use?)

The VDR should/must give a warning if less than 15% of
disk is free and may start deleting in this phase!
Less than 15% usually means that allocating free blocks
becomes difficult/time expensive. (Depending of the file system
used, but AFAIK 15% will work with all FS)

I don't see a reason to delete files just because they are old.

BTW:
Wouldn't it be easier handle and for the user to understand
to write the deletion date in the file name, and not the "hold" time?

The files next to be delete can be select with a simple
ls+sort or the midnight commander (The deletion date should be in
in ISO notation in the beginning af the name...(i hear the shouting ;-))
A simple copy do not modify the holdtime as it may now happen, or
how is the "50days" determined?

BBTW:
in "FORMATS" the format of
the directory names seems not to be documented?

2001-08-09.20:15.50.50.rec
^recording date  ~~ ??
                 ?? ~~
                    ??

regardless/anyway:
So i need a tool to "renumber" the files which are recorded
with the wrong hold time to get the disk free?