[linux-dvb] Re: What about (s)vcd support in dvd player ?

Hi,

> what about (S)VCD Support for the dvd player ?
> At the moment i use a handy little tool named readvcd to extract the mpeg data off the vcd / svcd - and replaying this via cat to the video device works but isn't much fun :-( A ringbuffer is missing and so on ...
>
> Anyway this would be a nice to have feature in dvd player, and maybe it could support svcd with ac3 audio aswell (somehow like miniDVD, but easier to create and more space on the cd-r media) ?
>
> Tell me what you think....

MPlayer (www.mplayerhq.hu) already supports SVCD and other such stuff
by software mpeg codecs.
I'm working on DVB card support in MPlayer nowdays, but i'm currently stuck
as the DVB card can't play audio for me (at least it's silence).
I think it's driver problem, but i couldn't fix it yet (see my prev. mail)

When I finished mpeg playback support with DVB, I'll look deep into
divx and other non-mpeg1/2 playback. I think there are 2 possible solution:
- playback as YV12 images (I saw such stuff in driver sources, but AFAIK
  the siemens DVB card can't play anything but mpeg 1/2)
- transcode to mpeg1 I/P frames (using some code from the ffmpeg project,
  specially modified for this purpose. i've some ideas...)

In the future, I've also plans for realtime recording to divx/mpeg4 format.
(re-using MC vectors and qscale array (scaled down) so I can achieve
relative good quality with minimal CPU usage. it's simple transcoding...).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
mailto:arpi@thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu