[linux-dvb] Re: EPG-TIMER-Programming via TVTV.de ?

Axel Gruber wrote:

> > So, yes: I still use my little epg2timers filter program
> > for 99% of all my timer programming.
> Carsten - do you have updated your programm to use the Telnet-Interface of VDR or do you still use timers.conf ?

No, I have not yet changed my program to use SVDRP.

> Because this is a conflict with programmed timers by the Remote-Controll - if you have both - converted timers.conf and VDR-Entries the VDR-Entries  will be deleted if you update the data from TVTV

I know.
And I agree that's bad.
For me, the consequence was, that I do not mix.
I very rarely program a short-term timer from the
menus and delay updating my web EPG until that
timer has run. At all other times I use the web
EPG only.

The main reason why I did not yet implement a SVDRP
interface yet is the fact that the SVDRP interface is
really not well-suited for what I am trying to do.
Here are the problems I would have to solve:

*  epg2timers gets a channel NAME from http://tvtv.de
   SVDRP's MODT wants a channel number, which is not
   unique, but simply is a line number of the channels.conf
   file, which can change every day and which may be different
   from user to user.
   Of course, that problem is currently "solved" by a harcoded
   map in epg2timers. A solution that I do not really like.

   I guess you see now why I am in favor of a unique channel
   number (maybe a combination of PNR and transponder ferquency)
   that can be used in a program to program interface like SVDRP.

*  There is no SVDRP command that says: "delete any previous
   merkliste-originating timers and insert these new ones instead".
   So, if I do not want to delete ALL previous timers, I have
   to figure out a way of identifying and deleting at least
   the ones that came into vdr via this path before.
   Maybe I shuold abuse one character position in the summary
   text for this?

If many people are interested in this service, I guess Klaus and
I will talk, solve the above problems and give you automatic
vdr loading of your http://tvtv.de merkliste.
If it is just for me alone and maybe a few more users, the current
way of simply overwriting timers.conf with the output of epg2timers
and restarting vdr is good enough to not justify the effort.

Carsten.