[linux-dvb] Re: Integration of Powersave in VDR

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Sergei Haller wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >
> > > Since this is a user activity,
> > > a new MinUserInactivity timeout will then be started.
> > >
> > > If this is what everybody can agree on, I can implement this framework into VDR.
> > > All you'll have to do is provide the actual shutdown program and run VDR with the
> > > new option "--shutdown=CMD", where CMD is the name of your program.
> >
> > what should be the default?
> >   - `shutdown -h'? halt?
> >     so the user could at least let the box automatically shutdown after
> >     completing the record. or he would be able to use the new `intentional
> >     shutdown' menu. I think one can disable the `automatical shutdown'
> >     feature by setting the MinUserInactivity to 0
> >
> >   - something else?
>
> Your progra/script can do whatever it takes to shutdown the computer.
> This is none of VDR's business. VDR will only call the program if there
> is no recording currently going on, and it also won't exit immediately
> after calling it, but rather wait for the SIGTERM that will be sent when
> the computer shuts down. If anything should go wrong with the shutdown,
> VDR will just continue to run (and try again after a while).

what I had in mind is: what will VDR do if no --shoutdown parameter is
specified? just disable the intentional/automatical shutdown
functionality?

> > > An additional new menu option to intentionally shutdown the machine NOW will
> > > complete this.
> >
> > One additional request:
> >
> > it would be nice if there was a way for some external program to tell vdr
> > to `shutdown' machine now (to call that external command and so on)
> >
> > maybe via SVDRP ?
>
> An external program can "tell" that to VDR by sending it the SIGTERM signal.
>
> > (what I have in mind is the following: ATM I am using acpid to call
> > `shutdown -h' on a power button press. with that new feature I would like
> > to tell vdr to shutdown now)
>
> 'sutdown -h' will send a SIGTERM to any running process, and so VDR will exit.

Yeah. but (correct me if I'm wrong) on a SIGTERM vdr will exit regardless
of any currently recording timers and regardless of any timmers which will
start within the next MinEventTimeout minutes.

What I had in mind is a way to tell vdr the same as by calling the
`intentionally shutdown NOW' menu item (i.e. letting the vdr the choice to
call the actual shutdown script or not to call it)

c ya
        Sergei

         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de