[linux-dvb] Re: Channel not sync'ed problem with second card

Marc Luuk wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 18:52:17 +0200
> > From: Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de>
> > To: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
> > Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: Channel not sync'ed problem with second card
> >
> > Marc Luuk wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > First of all I want to thank you for your excellent work. VDR and the
> > > dvb-driver are very good.
> > >
> > > I'm using VDR 0.93 with the latest driver of Klaus (22/08/2001).
> > > With only one card I've got no problems using my VDR. Now I've bought a
> > > second card. This card is separetely connected to the switch of my dish.
> > > Therefore this can't be the problem.
> > > Everytime I start the VDR I've got the same problem. The output of
> > > /var/log/messages says that channel xx on card 2 ist not sync'ed.
> > >
> > > Do you have any suggestions?
> >
> > Your second card is used to scan all transponders for EPG data.
> > In doing so, VDR switches the channel on that card every 20 seconds.
> > Unfortunately the driver seems not to like frequent channels switching
> > and sometimes fails to switch the channel. I do not know if there is
> > anything I could change in VDR to improve this. All my experiments so
> > far lead me to think that this is still a driver problem.
> Hello Klaus!
>
> Thank you for your quick answer. The problem I'm encountering is that the
> recordings doesn't work too on card 2. Card 1 is set to primary
> device. Therefore the recordings should be done first in the second card,
> isn't it?

Are you sure VDR is trying to do the recording on the first card?
Please send me an excerpt from your /var/log/messages file.

> On every attempt to record I've got an emergency exit of VDR.

If the channel can't be sync'd on the second card, VDR will do an emergency
exit in order to try to reload the driver.

Are you running VDR via the 'runvdr' script?
I suggest doing so to allow reloading the driver if something goes
wrong.

Klaus