[linux-dvb] Re: anyone with a SMP-system?

Hallo Markus,

Tuesday, September 04, 2001, 10:01:24 AM, schriebst du:

> (back to english):
> i was bit too optimistic about my system. yesterday i had a
> solid freeze after 10mins of recording.
> i also get rather frequent "IOAPIC error on cpuX"'s.

So do I, and as we already know, I use the same combination of
board and cpu(s).

> what else is kind of interesting: if i boot UP, i get
> less than 10% total usage by vdr threads (when recording).
> under SMP i get 3 threads with 5%, 10% and 15% each.
> why would a smp system use more cpu?

confirmed..

> really? could it be races in vdr code that get hit with my
> cpu/speed combo?

I'd rather think that this is a problem
in the APIC code of the kernel and this specific combo.

Had Gigabyte done something wrong in the APIC implemenation?

Are there people who use the Gigabyte 586DX with a new kernel
(and maybe without VDR) and having no problems with 2 CPUs?

Pity, I'd really like to use both of my processors :(

Gruß,
 Juergen                            mailto:juergen.scherer@gmx.de