[linux-dvb] Power key (was: Re: Video Disk Recorder version 0.94

Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  02.09.01 17:52

Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...

>The new version 0.94 of the Video Disk Recorder project
>is now available at

>    http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/download.htm

>- Implemented automatic shutdown (see INSTALL and MANUAL for details).
>- New SVDRP command NEXT to show the next timer event.

>- The new remote control key "Power" can be used to turn the VDR
>machine   off (this requires the presence of the '-s' option).

Power-key

Great feature, but

Yesterday i pressed "power off" and nothing happens..
Uups, VDR died?
No, "Menu" comes.
Hm. "Power off" still not working.
Ah, remember the manual(! ;-)), while replay the power
off is disabled???...yepp..
and what was shown on tv was the surplus of the previous replay...

Why is power-off disabled in replay mode (and in all other)?

In the same point:
I am missing an "escape" key.
"Help me im lost in menu depth" ;-)
The escape key brings one back directly to the top level menu

This could be the "power key" for example.
But we do have already the "back key"...

So we could save a key and use the "back key" (back to power off?)
as power off.

Or the power off as back key oder escape key?

In the scenario above, i would have "naturally" the power-key
pressed again.
If it would be an "escape" it would have terminate the replay
or left any open menu (the TVset might be out of sight
or already turned off) and the next key press would have done
what i expected.

BTW:
"honestly" it is mostly not real "power" just "standby"-key isn't it? ;-)
but i could imagine an additional "real standby"-mode, just
to "suspend to RAM" or so, without rebooting.

Another thing is:
Is the user still awake and not sleeping?
While watching TV this works flawlessly:
Setting use inactive to 40min or so the
VDR turns of, when the user is gone into dreamland,
or left room, forgetting the VDR.
But the replay plays til the end.

It might be an idea to activate
"user inactive timeout" on user demand on replay too?

But the most important:
Please allow Power-Off to be always active.
(Maybe as additional "back" key or use "back" instead)
Currently it looks good in docu but in practice it is
not "look and feel" (tm) ;-).

The 5sec "last grant" is a real good idea, but :-)
"power" should not be accepted as key (did not test it)
(Imagine a house controling which uses an own Infrared device
to control

A little hint (jump to timers menu?) if the power key is
inihibited because a record is running or starts in a few
minutes would ease use too.
(Just again thought my RC is broken, but then i remembered i
set the "MinEventTimeout" to 150 which seems to inihibit
the power off key, even if there are still 149 minutes to wait?
That's surprising. If the user decides, that the machine could
turn off now it should turn off, except a record is running
or will start in less than "BootUpTime": The computer can
program the wake up. ;-) )
Another reason to differenciate between "StandBy" and "PowerOff"
(PowerOff: Inhibits automatic wake up too, "StandBy" will
allow to resume to reocrd automatically)

I know it is a lot of work open and it not finished.
(I wish i could help, but the "Mute-Key" is not on the urgent
list and the urgent things are too complicate for a newbie ;-))
Please take it only as "feedback" that i am using it
and am very satisfied so far. (If i would be not very
satified/(begeistert) with the VDR, why should i make the effort to write
this and not go the easy way to take something other?)

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich
             //
           //