[linux-dvb] OT: Cooling down Athlon / Duron in conjunction with KT 133

Hi folks,

just in case you missed it: there was an interesting article in the last c't magazine (18/01, S.34). Its about cooling down AMD' s Athlons and Durons in conjunction with a KT 133 or KT133a chipset. A register on the Chipset enables or disables the disconnection of the processorkernel from the FSB. As far as I understand , the processor only uses less power when getting a hlt-Instuction if it's disconnected from the FSB.

For this task there is a small linux-proggie called lvcool. You can get it at http://mpet.freeservers.com/LVCool.html (source). On my System, a MSI KT7 Turbo with a Duron 800 (with certainly is somewhat oversized for VDR), CPU Temp is reduced from around 53 C to 35 C with normal VDR Operation according to lm_sensors ( right now i'm using a cpufan without a thermal sensor). So far i didn't realize any negative effects or a decrease of perfomance.

CU, Peter