[linux-dvb] Re: @klaus: idea for a new simple menu feature in vdr:

"Engelmann F." wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
> i just zapped thru my 179 channels and i had an idea to improve the control
> of vdr:
> - if u are watching TV the back button is not used!? i think it would be
> nice to use it to go direct to the channels list! so zapping will become
> much easier. i have a channel list with 32 channels - to swith to channel 16
> (its channel 145) i have to:
> - know which number the channel has
> or
> - press menu/down/ok/ and browse to it
> or
> - press right till i see the right list and than press down 15(!) times
>
> with the "backbutton feature" it would be:
> - press back/down (with screen scroll) and select the channel
>
> i think this feature is easy to do and very nice!
>
> what do u think

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are suggesting.
Wouldn't using the "Back" button here only save you from doing the
sequence "Menu-Down-Ok"? You make it sound as if it would save a lot
more keypresses, which I can't see here.

And: why should the "Back" button lead to the Channels menu?
Why not the Schedule menu - or the Timers menu?

What I'm thinking of is to maybe define several new keys, which lead directly
to a given menu. For instance a "Channels"-button, a "Recordings"-button,
a "Timers"-button and so on. No matter where you are in the menu structure,
pressing one of these buttons would lead you directly to that menu.
Of course this would require a remote control that has several (unused)
keys that can be used for this. Mine doesn't have such keys, but then again
I can live with pressing "Menu" and selecting the desired function...

Klaus