[linux-dvb] Re: Entering file names ...

Stefan Huelswitt wrote:

> On 05 Sep 2001 "Jens Hauser" <hauser@jam-gmbh.de> wrote:
>
> > My fingertips are almost bleeding because of typing filenames with the up and
> > down keys ... If I want to program something i.e. for three days in the
> > future, there is no "program" available for that.
> > What about a feature like on mobile phones. Pressing "2" once brings up an
> > "A", once again changes to "B" and so on.
>
> I was thinking about entering text in vdr recently, too.
>
> >From one production machine at work I know a different entering
> sheme which may be suitable for vdr:
>
> Imagine you have a matrix like this:
>
>  | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
> -|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
> 0| a | h | o | v |   |   |
> 1| b | i | p | w |   |   |
> 2| c | j | q | x |   |   |
> 3| d | k | r | y |   |   |
> 4| e | l | s | z |   |   |
> 5| f | m | t |   |   |   |
> 6| g | n | u |   |   |   |
>
> For entering 'l' you would press 1-4, for a 'p' 2-1 ...
> You can enter every letter with two keypress.
> Of course this could be extended for upper/lower case, numbers,
> extra symbols (with a 10x10 matrix max. 100 symbols are possible).
>
> Only drawback is that we cannot simply display the matrix on OSD,
> so you would have to make a printed version and store it near
> your remote control.
>
> What dou you think?

Do you _really_ think all this is worth the effort?
I mean, how often do you really enter a file name? Most of the
time using the EPG should be possible, and for those few times
where you need to enter a name manually, the current solution
IMHO is completely sufficient. The idea of having to use an extra
sheet of paper to encode the characters sounds pretty funny to me,
and the other suggestion of using a phone-like method (pressing
the number keys multiple times to get individual characters) would
require the remote control to have keys like a phone - not very
common, I guess.

Klaus