[linux-dvb] Re: @klaus: idea for a new simple menu feature in vdr:

Matthias Weingart wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:59:44PM +0200, Carsten Koch wrote:
>
> > Under certain circumstances you need to define only
> > ONE new key for this: Many programmable remote controls
> > provide macro functions that allow you to put more
> > than one command on one key. Onfortunately, with
> > vdr's current context-dependent menu system, this
> > would not work reliably. For example, there is no
> > key sequence that I can enter which will ALWAYS
> > take me into the "Channels" menu.
> >
> > But, if you define ONE new button that takes me
> > into the main menu, no matter what the current
> > context is, great new things would become possible.
>
> No, I think a global "CLEAR" button to RESET all Menues everytime is more
> useful. Currently the Menu button does it, but only if a menu is visible.
> With the global "CLEAR" send before each macro you can always be sure to
> start with no menu visible. I know this as a "TV"-button at TV-remote
> controls - it brings you back to the TV picture. This is also useful
> for normal use.
>  Maybe we can do this with no extra key. With a reorganistion of 2 keys.
> Let's the menu-button work as "back" key, and the back key as global "Clear".
> Only a minor change - I think we can learn it :-) Klaus? What do you think?

I don't like that. It would break the possiblity to get into either the
Main menu, or the Recordings menu from running replay . Whe I replay a
recording I like to be able to call up the Main menu with the Menu button,
and get into the Recordings menu with the Back button (which appears logical,
since the Recordings menu is the one from which the replay session was started,
so going "back" there is a natural thing to do).

I've been thinking of giving VDR the ability to define key macros, and every
key macro is implicitly defined to start at the "Top" level, i.e. at "no menu".
I guess there will not be any special key that has the sole function of going
to the "Top" level - that would be a waste of resources...

Klaus