[linux-dvb] Re: AW: SAMBA Question

b.burg@kliebenstein-partner.com(Bernd Burg)  13.09.01 17:42

Once upon a time Bernd Burg shaped the electrons to say...

->>I have installed SAMBA on my DVB computer now and
->>can access this under Windows2000 also very well .
->>I have noticed now that it lasts (with 2* 10 Mbps maps)
->>very long to copy a 1 GB file on my Windows computer.
->>
>You can have the same with 100 Mbps cards. Check the two cards for
>beeing half or full duplex. If there is a Hub in between it must have
>the same values set up (half or full duplex)

NEVER ever _set_ a 100Mbit port/card fixed to Full or half duplex
or data rate!
There is only a protocol for "auto negoation".
But there is no protocol for "manual set up".
Every vendor makes his own assumption, sometimes the wrong.

And: Turn every properity protocol "extensions" off!
(3com and cisco are so arogant and tries to force ther
standards into the market regardless of the problems their customers have.)

>In Systems, wher one card is half duplex and the other one is full
>duplex the the full duplex card creates collisions an the slow down
>traffic. This is a very big problem with big files.

It simply does not work, yes.
Serveral Card vendors ignores -wisely- the presets the user did...
See ethernet driver writer Becker postings to this problem.

BTW:
"Hubs" can only do half duplex.

Sometimes two cards using a crossed cable can't find each
other.

>So check it an go on half duplex if you are not shure.

Check, using netstat -i, if the cables are garbage.
There should not be any erors or very very few.

Under "ftp.heise.de" there is a tool "NetIO" which
allows to check Network thruput (gives at least "raw" hint).