[linux-dvb] Re: Signal Strength

John McCormac schrieb:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Markus Erhardt wrote:
>
> > > Don't underestimate this digital technology. DVB-s can be received
> > > 100% error free even if the signal power is so small that no analog
> > > reception would be possible.
> >
> > is this true? I've got a WinTV Nova and used the Windows-Software to test
>
> Very unlikely. If the signal is bad then there will be data corruption as
> well. Error correction can only help so much but if the signal is too bad
> then there will be errors. On digital video this causes blocking and
> freezing of the picture.

My experience:
I used a very small 35cm dish with a cheap standard LNB for more than a year.
Analog picture had a lot of snow on most channels. Digital picture (and recordings as the drivers got stable) were perfect.
Even heavy rain was no problem, but wind was. The system was very sensitive to small devitations in dish direction.
It was always n-tv which disappeard completely then, the other channels had some distornions (blocks, pic freezing for a moment).
I measured the quality only with the small linux tool anounced in this list seveal times (from Dave?) It showed a value between 6.5 and 7.5.

I now use a 60cm dish, which is mounted much more robost mechanically. Not a single problem since then.
I can even walk around within the beam area without disturbing the digital picutre.

Greetings

     Michael