[linux-dvb] Re: Signal Strength

> Concerning your satellite dish: of course, the signal that approaches
> your location (behind the tree) is as weak as it is. But using a
> larger dish you can "collect" more of it, thus raising the signal
> power your receiver gets.

Maybe the leafs are the problem. I'll know it in a few weeks. :-)

> ME> strength can't get better. Last winter I had around 60% with
> the old dish.
> ME> The analog signal is quite good. Should the digital signal be
> also good?
>
> Yes it should!
> What do you mean with "quite good"?

"quite good" means: no snow in the picture, but when there are greater areas
with one color you see a little bit noise. The color is not bright. I'll
hope you understand. This was "normal" for me, but the picture from a normal
terestrical TV is better. (At least with the Loewe TV at my friend. :-)  )

> I suppose the signal strength is derived from the bit error rate by
> the software. Then it is reliable in a sense that you need nearly
> 100% :-(

AFAIK the picture with linux was good last winter with the old dish, so
possibly it is the silly tree's fault that I couldn't watch digital tv.

Markus