[linux-dvb] Tuning problem

Hi,

first something general about DVB-C problems mentiond before the
holidays.

I had a look at the driver and the applications last week.
The DVB-C driver turned out to have no problem. But there was a bug in
the libdvb which prevented old config files from being used
correctly. That's why ntuxzap did not tune correctly. But this is
fixed now and works fine.

I can only test DVB-C with the Siemens DVB-C card. People with the
Technotrend DVB-C card or the Nova DVB-C card still might have
problems. Sorry, I cannot help you with this.

Lauri Pesonen writes:
 > I don't really expect to get an answer from this list, but I'm getting a
 > little desperate...
 >
 > I got my two DVB-C cards the day before yesterday (one full-featured cards
 > and one budget card). Since then I've been trying to tune the cards. First
 > I tried with only the full-featured card installed. I used the SW that
 > came with the card from TechnoTrend. I used QAM64 and 6.9M symbolrate.
 >
 > AFAIK, there are three bouquets with eight free and three pay-channels.
 > The three bouquets should be on frequencies S18 - 20 (~280 - 295MHz).
 >
 > !! I'm not really sure about any of the paramaters (freqs, srate, QAM) !!
 >
 > The TT SW answers after each frequency with "No DVB signal". Does this
 > mean that on that frequency there was no DVB signal or that there is no
 > signal at all? There are no markings in the TT cards, so I'm assuming that
 > the female connector is Input.
 >

 > About the linux stuff:
 >
 > I got the driver compiled and the modules load. I get an error message
 > about the firmware into the system log (can't remember the exact frasing).
 >
 > I've tried using dtv_scan (added S18-20 to the config file), but it fails
 > also.
 >
 > I laso compiled VDR successfully. It starts and says that it finds two DVB
 > cards. I tried usinf the provided channels.conf.cable file, but the tuning
 > obviously fails since the frquencies are wrong. The system log shows that
 > VDR tries to tune the card to the channel, so I'm assuming that everything
 > is OK with the cards regardless of the error message about the firmware.

Tuning is independent of the firmware for DVB-C (in DVB-S the firmware
handles DiSEqC). Still it would be helpful to know what it said.

 > I'll get in touch with the cable company next ;)

They should at least be able to tell you what modulation they
use, if they use spectrum inversion, etc.
Since the TT software also fails maybe they are using some kind of
exotic setup.

Ralph