[linux-dvb] Re: Tuning problem

An update,

I tried tuning to the frequencies (below) with the TT windows software. A
couple of times the software said that it found a signal and was not
looking for PSI/SI tables (I'm not sure about PSI...running Linux again so
I can't check). Then it moved to the next frequency and nothing was
displayed on the channel list. At other times the software just complained
about "no DVB signal". The channel frequencies below and in the software
do not match perfectly. There are 1-2 MHz differences. Apparently my local
cable provide uses a different frequency raster than TT thought about when
designing the software. Thus I think that the windows software might not
be able to tune correctly to the frequencies used by my cable provider.

Then I tried it with Linux again. I changed the QAM setting from QAM_64 to
QAM_128 in VDR and dtv_scan. It did not work. Neither of two programs
found any channels.

Today I added debug printing in order to take a look at the Front End Info
with the following results:

Jan  5 18:21:27 localhost vdr[1532]: FEINFO: minFreq = 500
Jan  5 18:21:27 localhost vdr[1532]: FEINFO: maxFreq = 2700000
Jan  5 18:21:27 localhost vdr[1532]: FEINFO: minSrate = 500000
Jan  5 18:21:27 localhost vdr[1532]: FEINFO: maxSrate = 30000000
Jan  5 18:21:27 localhost vdr[1532]: FEINFO: hwType = 0
Jan  5 18:21:27 localhost vdr[1532]: FEINFO: hwVersion = 0
Jan  5 18:21:27 localhost vdr[1532]: FEINFO: feType = FE_QPSK

Pay special attention to the last line of the output.

!! I HAVE A DVB-C CARD, IT SHOULD SAY FE_QAM !!

As I see it, there are two possibilities:

1. The DVB driver is broken

2. TechnoTrend gave me a very weird DVB-C card (I have no experience with
sat stuff, but AFAIK the connectors look different then the normal antenna
connectors)

Since I'm using the siemens_dvb-0.9-20010921 driver from Klaus' page
(patched with the still image patch) and that same driver version works
for others, I think that the driver is OK. Thus I'll probably have to get
in touch with TechnoTrend on monday.

Or does someone have any other suggestions?

Just to make sure that VDR also thinks of my DVB-C card as a DVB-S card I
added a log entry to DVB-S tuning cde which shows that VDR indeed tries to
tune the card with DVB-S params.

I should also mention that the both of my cards, the full-featured and the
budget card, return FE_QPSK in Front End Info queries.

-- Lauri