[linux-dvb] Re: Tuning problem

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:34:19AM +0100, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Stefan Norberg writes:
>  > >From personal experience and from following this list for a while I think
>  > it's
>  > pretty clear that the TT-DVB-C-card does not work with any version of the
>  > Linux
>  > driver.
> >
>  > Unfortunately, the information on linuxtv.org and on technotrend's home page
>  > (claiming that there is a working driver for the TT-DVB-C card) is incorrect
>  > and should, imho, be removed. I would personally have tried harder to get a
>  > Siemens card if I haven't been misled by this fact.
>
> I was under the impression from earlier reports (on the list and/or
> through mail to me) that the TT DVB-C card worked. Maybe they changed
> the hardware? Somebody here talked about a 2.x version of the DVB-C
> card?

Based on the linuxtv.org web pages and the mailinglists I was under the
impression that the TT DVB-C card would work with the linux driver.

Yesterday it occurred to me that most DVB-C users on the list probably
have a Siemens card and thus the problems with TT's card have not been
found out earlier.

!! Is there anyone on the list who has a TT DVB-C card working with the
linuxtv.org DVB driver !!

My card has a "C-rev2.1" sticker on it. This is the same card that is
identified as DVB-S by the linuxtv.org driver.

>  > I'm also surprised by the uninterest from both Techonotrend and the driver
>  > developers at Convergence to fix this or even to provide input or hint
>  > on this issue.
>
> AFAIR, Technotrend never cared about Linux drivers at all. I
> never received any information about their hardware from them.
> (This is true for ALL card manufacturers except Siemens.)
> So, why are you surprised now?

I understand that its hardand frustrating to support cards that you do not
personally have access to.

> We are also not interested in supporting each and every version of the
> DVB cards, especially if we don't even have a sample card and won't
> get any kind of help by the manufacturer to program the new chips
> which might be on those cards.
> Please explain exactly why we should be interested in supporting
> such cards?

IMHO if you claim to develop a driver a driver which supports e.g. Siemens
DVB-C cards, then you should at least try to support new card versions.
Especially since from the consumers point of view the card revisions
aren't really that visible. That is, people don't know automatically which
card revision they are buying. But since this is open source software, I
understand that you cannot do everything. Come to think of it, I'm not
sure whether you claim to support any card...

I'm just pissed at the moment since I was under the impression (my
mistake) that the driver would work with all TT-based DVB cards. Now you
are telling me that the driver will work with TT-based rev1.3 DVB-S cards
only. Interworking with other cards will be an accident.

> All I can do for now is to add a note on our WWW page that not
> all card versions of all vendors work with the driver.
> In 4 weeks all this will probably be a moot point anyway and all I
> will be able to support then is a version 1.3 DVB-S card.

That's a pitty since I'd assume that the user group will probably not grow
from this in the future. I'm assuming that rev1.3 cards aren't available
any more...

TT claims to have a linux driver for their cards on request. I'll email
them and see what they answer. If the driver is crap, we could all (or at
least the TT DVB-C card owners) send an email to TT requesting them to
support Ralph in the driver development.

Please note, that I'm very interested in getting the driver to support
TT DVB-C cards, so I'd be very interested and willing to help in this
project.

> Ralph

-- Lauri