[linux-dvb] AW: Re: AW: Re: HDTV & DVB / VDR (dscaler ..)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Emil Naepflein [mailto:Emil.Naepflein@philosys.de]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2002 16:41
An: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [linux-dvb] Re: AW: Re: HDTV & DVB / VDR (dscaler ..)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:16:27 +0100, Mirko Morschheuser
<mirko@rogal-ingenieurgesellschaft.de> wrote:

> Does anybody know if the DVB stream contains the same flags as in the
Mpeg2
> stream on a DVD? Software Mpeg2 decoders usually read these flags and
> deinterlace according to them. Therefore you get problems when the DVD
> mastering was poor and the flags are set incorrectly.

Those people that have the ability to display VDR recordings with a
software player (WinDVD et.al.) normally used to playback DVD could
check this. They just have to look for deinterlace artifacts in the
recordings. If they see them, then there is no easy way. Then we need
some intelligence to identify the fields that belong together, or a
function that allows selecting the alternate field as starting point for
deinterlace.

Emil

I will check that with WinDVD as soon as i am ready with my new Linux/VDR
installation.
I messed mine up when playing with a new Win98SE embedded based GUI for my
Activy300 box :-((

AFAIK some intelligence is always needed as most DVD's are poorly mastered
and the flags are set incorrectly. Why should that be different with the
people operating the Encoders at the DVB/TV Stations? :-)

But the above mentioned scenario shows the dilemma. recording with VDR,
using a software Mpeg Player afterwards to get the best picturequality
possible is some kind of a hassle. It reminds me of the DVD/HTPC Isuue under
Windows. several little programs have to be started and used and my
girlfriend doesnt want to watch a movie anymore by the time i am ready to go
after 15 minutes...:-) Please dont missunderstand me, but a modular
all-in-one solution would be a great thing. Of course, as i am no
programmer, i can only wish/dream that development will go in that direction
over time. After all i am really thankful and happy that people like klaus
and the guy's at convergence gave me something like VDR to play with.....:-)
It is already better than all the harddiskreceivers i played with so far!
progressive scan would now be the "i-tuepfelchen" to make me happy.

cu
Mirko "Psychonaut" Morschheuser